We meet Baba at his restaurant Baba Burger which is located at Alexander Kiellands plass. There are vinyl records all over, soul music playing and the place is decorated as a tribute to “Old School” funk and soul! Baba thinks everyone should experience these genres live:
- Live instruments are the joy of funk and soul! To really experience this music you need to go to a live show, to feel the music in your body. Every time I go to a live funk and soul concert I feel this. Somebody needs to take people so they can discover this music!
Soul musicians need great places to play
Baba Soul knows that there are many great musicians and artists living in Oslo who play funk and soul, but there are not many venues who book these bands.
- There are many great musicians, but they don’t have a place to play. We should do something about it – perhaps a yearly soul and funk night at Cosmopolite? We need to build an audience so people can discover this great music.
Lee Fields is aging like fine wine
Baba was present at both Lee Fields’ concert as well as Judith Hill earlier this year.
- I think Lee was very good, I think he is getting better, even though he is getting older, he is getting better!
In addition to being a fan of Lee Fields, Baba is also fan of Charles Bradley, who is also a musician who recorded at Daptone Records, the same record company as Mr. Fields is affiliated to.
Not a big scene for Soul in Oslo
- I met Charles Bradley here in Oslo, we had lunch, and it was very nice… The sad thing is that nobody writes about these musicians. And Cosmopolite is the only place booking them. In Oslo its mostly hip-hop, pop and afrobeat’s, which is everywhere now!
Do you see any similarities between cooking and making music?
- Music is art, cooking is art, my two passions are food and music. I never use recipes; I just taste it. I never made the food here at Baba Burgers before making the menu. But it sells good!